Gluten-free dairy free banana loaf
While we'd happily tuck into a banana loaf any day of the year, there's something just a little bit special about the smell of a banana loaf baking in the oven on a cold winter's day. This recipe uses our magical gluten-free flour blend and a dairy-free alternative to butter to create a deliciously moist gluten and dairy free banana loaf with a crunchy top.Grab your blackest, squishiest bananas and a handful of other ingredients and bake yourself happy at home with our gluten-free banana loaf recipe!
For the banana loaf…
- 130 grams Flora dairy free
- 200 grams light brown soft sugar
- 3 overripe bananas (ours weighed 280g out of skins)
- 2 large eggs
- 240 grams magical gluten-free plain flour (available from the bakery and online)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder (check that it is gluten-free)
- 20 ml plant-based milk (we use soya)
- A pinch salt
For the crunchy top…
- 1 egg white, whisked until foamy
- 1-2 tsp light soft brown sugar
Instructions for the banana loaf…
- Heat your oven to 170c / 150 fan / gas 3. Grease a 1lb loaf tin and dust with flour.Set aside.
- Weigh the fat and sugar into a large bowl and smoosh (techical term!) with a rubber spatula until you have a paste-like consistency.
- In aseparate bowl, squish the bananas with a fork then crack in the eggs and give everything a whisk to combine. Pour this mixture into the first bowl and mixe verything lightly together to form a lumpy batter.
- In a third bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt then fold this into the batter mix. Don't go mad, you just need to make sure there are no traces of flour showing but you still want the batter to be lumpy.
- Finally, stir through the plant-based milk and tip the batter into your loaf tin.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 45 minutes.
Instructions for the crunchy top…
- A few minutes before your 45 minutes bake time are up, whisk the egh white until frothy.
- Carefully remove the loaf tin from your oven after 45 minutes and brush the top of your banana loaf with the egg white foam, sprinkle with the brown sugar and return the tin to the oven for a further 15 minutes until the top is crunchy and a skewer poked into the centre of the loaf comes out clean (a crumb is OK, just no liquidy batter!)
- Leave your banana loaf in the tin for 15 minutes then carefully turn the loaf out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy! xx Millie, Marcus, Milo, Maddy and Me xx