GLUTEN-FREE COFFEE AND WALNUT CUPCAKES
Bake Yourself Happy at Home® with our easy to follow recipe for a dozen delicious coffee and walnut cupcakes. Coffee and walnut cake is one of the nation's favourite cakes. And weirdly, it is also enjoyed by non coffee drinkers (me being one of them, I loathe it!) If you're in the 'love it' camp, then here for you is a cupcake version of the sandwich cake, packed with walnuts and espresso powder for a real coffee kick.Use our gluten-free cupcake flour for the lightest cupcakes in town 🙂
For the cupcakes…
- 115 g Stork for baking (tub not block)
- 115 g light brown soft sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 170 g gluten-free cupcake flour
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder made up with 1 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp milk
- 60 g walnuts, chopped
For the buttercream…
- 200 g salted butter, soft
- 300 g icing sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tsp instant espresso powder made up with 2 tbsp hot water, cooled
- 12 walnut halves
To make the cupcakes…
- Line the holes of a 12-hole cupcake pan with cupcake cases and heat your oven to 170c / 150c fan.
- Beat the Stork for three minutes in a stand mixer or with an electric whisk.
- Add the sugar and beat for a further two minutes.
- Add in the cupcake flour, coffee, milk and eggs and beat until you have a smooth batter.
- Fold through the chopped walnuts.
- Divide the cupcake batter between 12 cupcake cases and bake for 16-18 minutes until golden and the tops spring back when touched.
- Carefully transfer your cupcakes to a wire rack and leave to cool while you make the buttercream.
To make the buttercream…
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer or with an electric whisk until pale and very soft.
- Sift in the icing sugar and beat slowly to start with (to avoid the dreaded icing cloud!), turning up the speed until everything is combined. Slowly add the coffee and beat until combined and you have a nice and soft (but not too fluid) piping consistency.
Decorating your cupcakes…
- Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a flower nozzle (I use the drop flower JEM 1B cupcake piping tip that we sell in our online shop).
- Swirl each cupcake with the coffee buttercream and top with a walnut half.
- Put the kettle on, make a brew and enjoy eating your cupcakes!xx Millie, Marcus, Milo, Maddy and Me xx
SHOW US YOUR BAKES!Mention @thelittlebakeryofhappiness or tag #thelittlebakeryofhappiness in your Instagram pics so that we can coo over your masterpieces!